MHIMA 2020 Scholarship
MHIMA Scholarship Program For 2020- Deadline March 11, 2020 for Applications to be received at MHIMA.
MHIMA is pleased to once again remind our eligible students of our 2020 MHIMA Scholarship. This scholarship is based on merit and not on financial need.
Eligibility to Apply:
(ALL of the following requirements MUST be met)
- AHIMA member with Minnesota designated as their component state association
- Enrolled in an in-state or out-of-state CAHIIM accredited HIM program (unless doctoral)
- Applicants must have completed 50% of the total required program credits from one of the following programs:
- Health Information Management associate degree
- Health Information Management baccalaureate degree
- Health Information Management master’s degree
- Doctoral program related to HIM in a college or university nationally accredited (does not need to be CAHIIM accredited to qualify)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0)
- Applicants must have at least one term left to complete or be enrolled in their last term at time of award date.
- Applicant must not have previously won a MHIMA Scholarship in the category for which they are applying.
The application process includes:
- Complete and submit the online MHIMA Scholarship application
- Attach a letter of recommendation from a faculty advisor, faculty member or mentor in online application
- Have your Program Director complete the online verification form that you have completed 50% of required credits for program and are expected to graduate
- Attach a written essay of between 300-700 words under the title: “How I Will Use This Degree to Advance the HIM Profession” in online application
- Attach an official school grade transcript that indicates your cumulative GPA in online application
The exact amounts of the scholarship awards depends on yearly contributions to our MHIMA Scholarship Fund; however, past awards have been between $500 and $1500.
Scholarship winners will be announced in April 2020, and the scholarships will be recognized at our MHIMA Annual Meeting on April 30, 2020 at Treasure Island Resort. The person being awarded the scholarship will be eligible to attend our Annual Meeting on Thursday, April 30, 2020, at no cost. (MHIMA will not reimburse for any associated expenses to attend the meeting, such as hotel, meals or travel). The actual scholarship checks will be forwarded to the winners from the AHIMA Foundation, which holds our MHIMA Student Merit Scholarship Fund dollars.
Winning essays will be published in the summer issue of MHIMA’s electronic newsletter, MHIMA Connection.
ALL application materials MUST be COMPLETE and received on or before March 11, 2020.
If you are eligible to apply for a scholarship, we encourage you to consider this opportunity.
Lori Diederichs MS, RHIA
2020 MHIMA Scholarship Program Chairperson