Hennepin Healthcare has an opening for a Coding Liaison to work within the Revenue Integrity department. This role will be a part of a team responsible for continuing to provide high level support to our providers.
Provides support, education and feedback to the Physicians, Advanced Practice Providers, Residents and Coding Staff on documentation guidelines and billing trends.
- Assists with New Provider Onboarding
- Presents education points and/or findings to Physicians, Advanced Practice Providers, Residents and Coding Staff regarding coding and billing trends and related quality metrics
- Develops and executes departmental review projects with measurable financial and/or compliance goals per analysis findings
- Organizes, analyzes and presents data for the purpose of supporting
- Department Chiefs, Practice Managers and other stakeholders throughout the organization to outline and institute strategies for improvement
- Collaborates with other departments and key stakeholders to determine trends and educational needs
- Analyzes provider documentation and billing practices through financial and coding activity reports, as well as documentation reviews, to identify potential opportunities for revenue capture and recognize areas of compliance concern
- Performs a detailed annual review of CPT and ICD-10-CM which includes identifying codes that have been deleted, added, or replaced; identifying description changes and communicating these changes to clinical departments that will be impacted
- Supports clinical areas and departments in charge capture and coding accuracy to ensure organization-wide uniformity of charges and coding for similar products and procedures
- Identifies/investigates issues with medical necessity, coding and billing that reduce reimbursement; recommends action steps and works collaboratively with the department to improve processes when operational weaknesses and/or compliance issues are found
- Conducts annual provider quality reviews to evaluate the appropriateness of services and procedures billed based on supporting documentation; evaluates appropriateness of diagnoses (ICD) and procedural (CPT) codes billed for services; evaluates adequacy of documentation to meet the Teaching Physician guidelines; evaluates level of service billed for evaluation and management (E/M) services, evaluates appropriateness of modifier usage
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education / Work Experience
Two (2) years post-secondary education in HIM field
Three (3) years external coding/reimbursement experience;
An approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable discussing patient care/clinical presentation of the patient (as it relates to quality metrics and coding) with providers
- Able to present to both small and large (up to 100) groups
- Initiate judgment, make decisions and work autonomously
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders at various levels of authority within the organization
- Problem solving and conflict resolution
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
License / Certifications:
- CCS-P, CPC, RHIT, RHIA
- CDIP, CCDS
Bachelor’s degree in health related field
Two (2) years post-secondary education in HIM field (or equivalent)
Bachelor’s degree in health related field (preferred)
Hennepin Healthcare is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, savings, and work/life balance. This includes tuition reimbursement, generous insurance coverage, liberal PTO policies, a 401a retirement plan and Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) benefits for eligible employees. We also offer voluntary 403b and 457 retirement savings plans.
Click here to learn more here
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please apply online!