Coding Data Specialist III – Telecommute
Allina Health is dedicated to the prevention and treatment of illness and enhancing the greater health of individuals, families and communities throughout Minnesota and western Wisconsin. A not-for-profit health care system, Allina Health cares for patients from beginning to end-of-life through its 90+ clinics, 12 hospitals, 16 pharmacies, specialty care centers and specialty medical services that provide home care, senior transitions, hospice care, home oxygen and medical equipment, and emergency medical transportation services. Allina Health is a vibrant, growing organization with opportunities to suit your professional skills and a diverse work environment to match your specific interests. We believe employees are our greatest asset and are dedicated to helping you develop and maximize your professional skills.
The Commons, located in Minneapolis, is the headquarters of Allina Health, a not-for-profit health care organization serving patients and communities. Approximately 1,600 corporate and administrative service employees work at offices within Midtown Exchange, the site of the historic Sears retail complex at Chicago Avenue and E. Lake Street. This community landmark, adjacent to the campus of Abbott Northwestern Hospital, part of Allina Health, is the second largest building in Minnesota and includes offices, an internationally themed public market and residential units.
- Analyze medical record for Health Care Provider documentation to determine accurate MS-DRG, APC, ICD -10 diagnostic and procedure codes, HCPCS, CPT and modifiers.. Coding is based on qualified health care provider’s documentation Appropriate querying of the healthcare provider as needed for accurate severity/DRG assignment and/or ICD-10/CPT assignment. Coding is accurate and timely.
- Require date elements collection to be abstracted accurately and timely to support the various regulatory, Allina wide and other designated parties.
- Comply with mandated and/or standard guidelines
- HIPPA guidelines
- Department specific competencies
- Maintain confidentiality of patient
- Previous coding experience preferable but not require
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT-4 coding classifications.
- Ability to read and interpret healthcare provider documents.Ability to interpret terminology in the record when it differs from terms in ICD-10/CPT-4, using judgment to translate conditions into accurate codes.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to interpret medical and anatomical terminology.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all phases of work.
- Code within timeframes established by Allina hospital coding standards
- Ability to work independently and to work with other coders as a team when needed.
- Ability to communicate (written or oral) with healthcare providers about inconsistencies in documentation and third party payer requirements.
- Ability to work harmoniously with medical staff and ancillary support services departments.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize workload.
- Knowledge of APC classification.
- Basic computer skills
- 2 year Registered Health Information Technician graduate, or 4-year Registered Health Information Administrator graduate, or have been grandfathered in Allina prior to 1998.
- Must be RHIT/RHIA Accredited.
- Must have formal ICD-10 training education and provide proof of classroom and/or online completion.
Work Schedule – Additional Position Details:
- RHIT, RHIA or CCS
- 40 hours per week
- Eligible to work from home after training on site
- Must be a resident of MN or WI
- Benefit Eligible
- License/Certificate Required : Yes
Registered Health Information Administrator
Registered Health Information Technician
- 2 year Registered Health Information Technician graduate, or 4-year Registered Health Information Administrator graduate, or completion of a Coding Specialist Certificate program and/or CCA certificate pass the CCS exam/Accreditation within 2-3 years of course completion, or have been grandfathered in Allina prior to 1998. Any new hire as of 04/15/2008 must pass their exam/accreditation within 2 years of hire for continued employment as a coding data specialist.
- Coding Data Specialist III – Accredited RHIT or RHIA or have been grandfathered in Allina prior to 1998
- Must have formal ICD-10 training education and provide proof of classroom and/or online completion
Allina Health Careers Site: