Clinician Coding Educator
Children’s Minnesota is one of the largest pediatric health systems in the United States and the only health system in Minnesota to provide care exclusively to children, from before birth through young adulthood. An independent and not-for-profit system since 1924, Children’s Minnesota is one system serving kids throughout the Upper Midwest at two free-standing hospitals, nine primary care clinics, multiple specialty clinics and seven rehabilitation sites. As The Kids Experts™ in our region, Children’s Minnesota is regularly ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a top children’s hospital. Find us on Facebook @childrensminnesota or on Twitter and Instagram @childrensmn. Please visit childrensMN.org.
The Clinician Coding Educator has a key education role within the Ambulatory Coding team at Children’s Minnesota. This role is responsible for providing evidence-based coding review and developing/implementing educational programs to ensure correct coding, legal compliance, and complete charge capture for Ambulatory and Professional services. This role will work collaboratively with clinicians to improve revenue cycle integrity while seeking and identifying trends and opportunities for coding optimization.
Must be able to pass a department-administered coding proficiency test.
Location (e.g. remote or on-site): Remote with onsite as needed
MUST RESIDE IN MN OR WI
- HIM certification from American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) required
- Credentials that meet requirement: Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Specialist Physician Based (CCS-P), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Evaluation and Management Coder (CEMC) and/or Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA) from American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) are preferred in addition to required credentials
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in conjunction with coding credential preferred
- Minimum of (5) five years physician coding experience performing diagnosis, E/M, and procedure code assignment, review and education functions for professional fees in a multi-specialty setting required. The last (3) three years focused in education and training preferred.
- Hospital-based clinic and subspecialty pediatric coding experience preferred
- Extensive knowledge of federal, state, and payer-specific regulations and policies pertaining to documentation, coding, and billing, with demonstrated ability to interpret such guidelines
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and skill in analyzing patient records to identify non-conformance in CPT, ICD10-CM and HCPCS code assignment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability in critical thinking, self-initiative, and self-direction
- Ability to interview people to obtain basic information
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed to meet deadlines and goals
- Ability to use research skills to gain information on complex coding/billing issues
- Proficient in PC skills including Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook and Teams
- A professional presentation and the ability to interface effectively with physicians
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of an occupational health assessment, drug screen, background investigation, and compliance with the U.S. Government Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Children’s Minnesota requires proof of COVID-19 vaccine, and as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), immunity to vaccine preventable infectious diseases, prior to employment.
Children’s Minnesota is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to all applicants. EO M/F/Disability/Vet Employer.
Certified Evaluation and Management Coder (CEMC) and/or Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA) from American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) are preferred in addition to required credentials
Instructions for Resume Submission: